14 Of The Most Ridiculous And Bizarre Money Saving Tips
- Get yourself a free gym membership trial so you don’t have to shower at home – Yes, you’re probably laughing but if you think about this it actually makes a lot of sense. Water bills are going through the roof and you can get gym membership for free (when you get a free trial). Now what happens when your free trial runs out? Just get another trial. The best thing is that you can also get a free workout, class and pick up a few freebies from the gym if it’s a particularly posh one. Alternatively, you can get a very low cost gym membership from group buying sites and Go Groopie tend to have good listings.
- Find free events online (like gallery events) to get free food and drink – Art gallery events tend to be the best because i) they tend to have very nice alcohol and nibbles and ii) absolutely no one will judge you. Let’s face it, they will probably think you are enacting a piece of performance art.
- Make lipstick out of crayons – Again, you might think this is meant as a joke but honestly, you will look great. Add a bit of vaseline to the crayons and you can even mix and match colours. Let’s also not forget that they smell great and I promise no one will know the difference.
- Eat raw food – Every one knows that vegetables are much much cheaper than meat and of course, good for you. Also, you will save a lot of money on energy bills not having to cook. This idea can be a little hard to stomach but it might actually be good to challenge yourself to just go one or two days without eating meat each week. Even domestic goddess, Martha Stewart does “meatless Mondays” so it must be a good idea.
- If it’s yellow let it mellow, if it’s brown flush it down – Eww yuck. You were warned that this list would be unconventional but if you live by yourself then you don’t necessarily have to flush every time you go to the toilet.
- Return all gifts you receive, if you can’t return them sell them on eBay.
- Reuse paper towels – First of all, note that this is paper towels (as in kitchen roll NOT toilet paper). The idea is that you clean up spills but then hang it out to dry and use again.
- Split your toilet roll into it’s two separate parts so that it will last longer – Where does one start with this one? If you’re not laughing and think this might actually be a good idea then note that you will save £7 per year. Bearing this saving in mind, only you can decide if it’s worth it or not…
- Take a bath only once each year and you will save £30. Make your friend, partner, flatmate do it as well and you will save double or triple that amount!
- Use roasted dandelion root instead of coffee. It is a great substitute and healthier for you as well.
- Go to bed early – This is going to be tough for most people (myself included) but going to bed early and getting up early means that you will take advantage of daylight and use less electricity. Also, many of us get into trouble with online shopping late at night when we are bored. So get to bed early!
- Live without toilet paper – believe me when I say this was difficult to type but it would have been remiss of me to ignore in light of what I saw on TV recently. A woman on an American TV show has sworn off using toilet roll altogether but instead uses soap, water and her hands and according to her, she saves the equivalent of £3 a month. Now you have all the facts, the decision is yours…
- Send e-Cards instead of real paper cards – Now this is a good one, not only is it eco-friendly it is also good for your bank account. The average card from Clintons costs about £3 with some cards costing considerably more than that. Another option is to buy all your cards in bulk immediately after a holiday so for example, buy a bunch of Christmas cards immediately after Christmas is over when they are on sale and dirt cheap.
- Use bubble bath instead of laundry detergent. So let’s see: they are both liquid soap detergent and while one costs about £1 (or less than that in some cases) the latter costs about £7-12. I have personally saved a lot of money doing this and there is no difference on the quality of cleanliness of my clothes. Also, you have a larger range of scents to choose from with bubble bath while laundry only comes in “fresh” and “lavender”. Boring.
- Tesco Mobile Will Pay You £36 a Year To Use This App
- Audible Hack – Get 2 free books and 60% OFF a 3 month membership
- How to Hack Amazon for 75-99% Discounts
- 5 FREE Must Have Apps That Will Save You Money
- 5 Awesome Hacks To Get Discounts on Everything
I would love to hear your thoughts…
Please share your experiences and / or comments below.